‘Biman, US-Bangla hold only 18-20% share of Bangladesh’s aviation market’
Bangladesh's aviation sector will grow almost threefold over the next 15 years, State Minister for Civil Aviation Md Mahbub Ali said today.
Bangladesh's aviation sector has almost doubled by 2017 while passenger and cargo transportation has grown at a rate of about 10 percent in the last 10 years, he also said.
The minister said this while addressing a function organised at Jashore Airport on the occasion of starting US Bangla Airlines' direct flights on Jashore-Chattogram and Jashore-Cox's Bazar routes.
Later, the junior minister inaugurated a direct flight of US Bangla Airlines on Saidpur-Chattogram route at another function in Saidpur Airport.
Mahbub Ali said, "We have a plan to buy cargo aircraft to export the country's agricultural products to the international market. Flowers and agricultural products of Jashore will be exported to different countries."
The state minister said investment in the aviation sector has also increased along with other businesses.
In addition to the state-owned carrier, two private airlines are also doing well in aviation business, he said.
"They have gained the trust of the customers through their services. Day by day they are increasing the number of their destinations on international and domestic routes. The scope of their business is growing."
US-Bangla Airlines Managing Director (MD) Mohammad Abdullah Al Mamun said US-Bangla Airlines started its journey in 2014 with only two aircraft and 150 staff. The airline currently has 14 new aircraft in its fleet.
He said they have plans to operate more flights by purchasing 16 brand new aircraft in the next two years. These aircraft will fly from Dhaka to all countries in the Middle East, Rome in Italy, Toronto in Canada and Heathrow in London.
He said Biman Bangladesh Airlines and US-Bangla Airlines are currently operating international flights from Bangladesh. These two airlines hold only 18 to 20 percent share of the aviation market in Bangladesh. Foreign airlines hold remaining 80 percent share.
He also said when a Bangladeshi expatriate returns home by a Malaysian Airlines or Singapore Airlines flight, their remittance remains in that country. We are retaining remittances of Tk 4,000 crore by operating flights on these routes. We are planning on how to maintain 50 percent market share by increasing flights on international routes.