Suicide bomber kills 6 in Syria restaurant
A suicide bombing in a restaurant in Syria's second city Aleppo killed six people, including a journalist from pro-government television, state media and a monitoring group said yesterday.
The blast struck as a group of youths celebrated the graduation of a student, who was one of those killed in the attack in the dining area of Mogambo on Thursday, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
"The attack also wounded 19 people, including some in critical condition," said the Britain-based organisation.
The official SANA news agency also reported the attack, and singled out the death of the journalist it identified as Al-Ikhbariya TV correspondent Hassan Muhanna.
The attack occurred in a part of Aleppo controlled by the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, which has been fighting an armed uprising for more than two years in a conflict that has killed more than 100,000.
On May 27, another Al-Ikhbariya journalist was killed by a sniper in the then rebel stronghold of Qusayr.
Prior to his death, media watchdog Reporters Without Borders said 23 journalists had been killed in Syria since the country's conflict erupted in March 2011.