Italy sack Donadoni
Italy coach Roberto Donadoni has been told he will not have his contract renewed, the Italian Football Federation announced on Thursday.
Donadoni's position had been under threat since the World Cup holders crashed out of Euro 2008 losing to Spain in the quarterfinals.
FIGC president Giancarlo Abete said he and Donadoni had discussed the performance of the Azzurri at the organisation's headquarters in Rome and "examined the activities (of the team) over the past two years and the European Championships," a statement read.
"While confirming to Donadoni the personal high regard in which he holds him and his appreciation for the seriousness of his professional commitment at the head of the national team, president Abete has told the coach about the FIGC's decision to consider that their contractual link has expired at its natural term."
The 44-year-old Donadoni's contract had only been extended before the tournament to run until the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
But his deal included a clause that he had to ensure the Italians at least qualified for the semifinals of Euro 2008.
According to Italian media reports, Donadoni's predecessor, 2006 World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi, is set to return to the post.