18 thatched houses burn down in Ctg
About 18 thatched houses burned down in a fire at Habilasdip village in Patiya in the early hours yesterday.
An electrical short-circuit sparked off the blaze at around 12:30am, sources said.
Receiving information, a fire fighting unit from Patiya Fire Station rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire with the help of locals after a struggle for two hours.
The loss was estimated at around Tk 20 lakh.
Meanwhile, a fire broke out at a godown of Well Group in Kalurghat C&B Road area in the port city at around 11:30am yesterday, damaging wasted yarn worth around Tk 2 lakh, sources said.
An electrical short-circuit sparked off the fire, they said.
Ten fire fighting units from the city's different fire station rushed to the spot and put out the fire after a three-hour effort.