CID asked to submit probe report of case against Shah Alam, Babar by June 17
A Dhaka court yesterday asked CID to submit by June 17 the probe report of a bribery case filed against Bashundhara Group Chairman Ahmed Akbar Sobhan alias Shah Alam, former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and two others.
The case was filed for taking and giving bribes to cover up the murder case of Humayun Kabir Sabbir, a director of Bashundhara Group.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ismail Hossain passed the order as the Criminal Investigation Department failed to submit the probe report yesterday.
Two others accused are Director of Prime Bank and East West Property Development Pvt Ltd Abu Sufian and former BNP lawmaker Qazi Saleemul Huq Kamal. They were present at the court during yesterday's hearing.
Babar was not produced before the court during yesterday's hearing.
An official of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court of Dhaka said he did not find any documents that show Shah Alam having bail in the case from any other courts or being on the run.
On May 8, 2008, CID Assistant Superintendent Arman Ali filed the case with Ramna Police Station against the accused.
Earlier on May 6, 2008, Anti-Corruption Commission pressed charges against former prime minister Khaleda Zia's son Tarique Rahman, Babar, Saleemul Huq, Shah Alam and his two sons Shafiat Sobhan Sanvir and Sadaat Sobhan, Abu Sufian and Tarique's personal secretary Mia Nur Uddin Apu.
The anti-graft body said the eight were involved in the bribery to save Sanvir from the charges of killing Sabbir.
On July 5, 2006, Sabbir's body was found outside a building in Bashundhara residential area.