Pregnancy is a critical time for women. Fruits and vegetables are an extremely important part of nutrition during pregnancy. But there are many fruits and vegetable to be avoided during pregnancy. Some fruits mentioned below should be avoided during pregnancy.
There are vast health benefits of pineapple and they are essentially good for women during the menopause. But pregnant women should strictly keep away from them because of multiple hazards to the child inside the womb.
- Pineapple increases the risk of abortion.
- The consumption of pineapple can cause the risk of uterine contractions which are dangerous for the growing womb.
- Bromelian present in pineapple which softens the cervix.
- So it is better to avoid this fruit completely. If pineapple is your favorite fruit or if you cannot resist this fruit, please talk to your doctor.
Eating grapes during pregnancy is shrouded in controversy. Many people say that it is perfectly safe and others argue that it is better to avoid grapes during pregnancy.
- The main reason is the high amounts of resveratrol present in grapes. This chemical can cause toxicity for the expectant mother.
- Digestive system of pregnant women is weak and the skin of black grapes becomes non-digestible by the weakened digestive system of pregnant women.
- Acidity becomes common along with nausea and vomiting for pregnant women if she eats too many grapes. Loose motions and diarrhoea may occur due to eating too many grapes.
- But all sorts of complications can be avoided by eating definite amount of grapes during pregnancy. You should avoid grapes in empty stomach or if you experience acid reflux.
Tamarind in one of the source of Vitamin C. but excess Vitamin C causes harmful effect on pregnant women.
- Self induced miscarriage or abortion may occur due to excess Vitamin C. Taking too much Vitamin C in the first month of pregnancy can reduce the production of progesterone, which can cause miscarriage.
- Chance of pre-term birth may be increased due to high doses of Vitamin C.
- Cell damage in fetuses may result from too much consumption of Vitamin C.
Both the unripe and semi-ripe varieties of papayas are rich in latex, which should be avoided during pregnancy. Papayas heat up the body and should be avoided during the third and final semester.
The write-up is compiled by Taslima Begum, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy, Primeasia University. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org