Act tough on drugs, terror
Giving a 23-point directive to the deputy commissioners, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday asked them to take tough actions against extortion, tender grabbing, muscle flexing, terrorism and drugs for eliminating these menaces from society.
“You don't need to look at who belongs to which party and who does what ... just go for action,” she said while opening a three-day DC conference at her office.
The PM also asked the DCs to contact her or her office directly if anyone created obstacles towards carrying out this job. “I'm giving you the permission to communicate with me or my office directly ... we'll look into the matter.”
Hasina said her government wanted to root out evil acts like tender grabbing, muscle flexing, terrorism and drugs. “We want to ensure peace and security of people.”
She also asked the DCs to take care of the government's development programmes across the country, which will be beneficial for the people.
“We've taken up development programmes spending huge money ... you need to look after the programmes ... you need to see whether these are being implemented properly ... the people of the country will be benefited with your care ....,” Hasina said.
The premier asked the DCs to work for the socioeconomic development of people. “Hope, you'll engage your creativity and talents.”
Hasina laid out the 23-point directive for the DCs to ensure people's welfare and directed them to be more active in implementing development programmes.
Terming the DCs the representatives of the government at the district-level, she asked them to carry out their responsibilities with the mindset of serving the people.
The PM asked them to know the problems and prospects of their areas in detail and inform the central administration timely. The development plans were prepared on the basis of their reports.
Praising the initiatives of a number of district administrations and police officials for making their districts free from begging, Hasina assured them of providing assistance from her relief fund to make their drive even more successful.
About the steps of her government to set up 100 economic zones across the country, Hasina directed the top divisional and district officials not to allocate any cultivable land for building factories.
The ultimate goal of the present government is to build a happy, prosperous, knowledge-based Digital Bangladesh, which is free from hunger, poverty, illiteracy, militancy and communalism, she said, adding, ”The role of divisional commissioners and deputy commissioners are very much important to this end.” State Minister for Public Administration Ismat Ara Sadique, Cabinet Secretary Shafiul Alam and Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister's Office M Nojibur Rahman also spoke on the occasion.
Rajshahi divisional commissioner and deputy commissioners of Naogaon, Chuadanga and Munshiganj also addressed the programme.
- Remain careful so that people do not get harassed and deprived of government services while trying to avail these.
- Young people have to be saved from the clutches of drugs and the drive against drugs will continue.
- Discharge your duties with more sincerity to maintain peace, discipline and stability by rooting out militancy, terrorism and communalism.
- Steps should be taken for alleviating poverty through rural infrastructure development, flourishing potential local small and medium industries and generating employment.
- Take the lead role in developing and flourishing information and communication technology.
- Work with public representatives for establishing good governance at the grassroots level.
- Take steps to increase the rate of female education and bring back the dropped out students in the mainstream education.
- Remain vigilant to protect the government land alongside developing skill and transparency in land administration and management.
- Take all the necessary steps for an uninterrupted supply of fertilizers, seeds, power and fuel to boost agricultural production.
- Create widespread awareness to prevent marketing of adulterated food items and check the unethical activities.
- Strengthen the activities of community clinics further to ensure healthcare services for the poor and underprivileged community.
- Increase mass awareness to protect the environment and ensure proper enforcement of the law and rules relating to it.
- Take the right steps at the right time as per the “Disaster Management Law, 2012” and its related permanent directives for mitigating the impacts of natural disasters.
- Make village courts active to ensure justice for people and reduce the backlog of cases in courts.
- Make active, dynamic and effective all the district-level committees where DCs act as their heads.
- Strengthen the activities like holding information fair, observing services week aiming to reach the existing services of government offices to the grassroots level.
- Take steps to root out extortion, tender manipulation, muscle flexing and terrorism for maintaining peace in industrial zones and uninterrupted transportation of goods and carrying out export and import.
- Give importance to round-the-clock monitoring of market management and resist any ill-efforts that create artificial crises in the market.
- Increase surveillance to stop woman and child oppression and trafficking, dowry, eve-teasing and early marriage.
- Take appropriate legal steps to stop violence, repression and discriminatory behaviour against the women.
- Enhance the facilities of sports, recreation and creative cultural activities in respective districts. Awaken the Liberation War spirit, cultural and scientific mind of children and juveniles.
- Take special steps for the disabled, autistic and underprivileged people.
- Protect the forest areas, rivers, water bodies, animal resources and the beauty of hills in hill districts. Extend all-out cooperation in flourishing the tourism industry, small and medium and cottage industries.