2 kids die after ‘taking pesticide mistakenly’
06:07 PM, March 12, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 07:14 PM, March 12, 2017

2 kids die after ‘taking pesticide mistakenly’

Two children of a family died and four others fell sick after they “mistakenly took pesticide instead of tea” in Thakurgaon Sadar today, police said.

The deceased were identified as – Sohan, 7 and his two-and-a-half-year-old sister Sohana, children of a local Moinul Haque, our local correspondent reports.

The incident took place as his 50-year-old mother-in-law Jamila Begum used a tea like toxic substance for tea around 12:30pm, the victims’ family said.

Sohan died on the spot immediately after drinking the substance while five others—Sohana, Jamila Begum, Moinul’s wife Sabina Begum, Safura Begum, her husband Pajibar Rahman, and their daughter Sadia, 5, were rushed to Thakurgaon Sadar Hospital.

Sohana died of poisoning around 4:30pm, said Rokonul Haque, medical officer of the hospital.

Later, Safura and Sadia were referred to Rangpur Medical College and Hospital (RMCH) as their condition deteriorated, he said.

Additional District Magistrate, Abu Rafa Mohammad Arif said they suspect it is an incident of organophosphate poisoning.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top