5 of a family burnt in Ashulia ‘gas line blast’
12:00 AM, November 03, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:33 AM, November 03, 2018

Gas Leak: Infant, four others burnt badly in Savar

Gas line in the house was 'unauthorised'

Five members of a family, including an infant, were seriously burned in a fire caused by leaky gas lines at their flat in Ashulia area of Savar yesterday.

The gas connection to the two-storey building was unauthorised, its owner Abdul Hamid told investigators.

The victims are Arab Ali, 60, his wife Hasina, 50, their son Abdullah, 35, his wife Ripa, 20, and their one and a half year old daughter Ayesha.

Four of the victims are in critical condition with between 32 and 96 percent deep burns, said Partha Shankar Paul, resident surgeon of burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Firefighters believe that the fire was caused by a leaky gas line, said Abdul Hamid, senior officer of DEPZ Fire Station.

Police have detained the building owner, said Rezaul Haque, officer-in-charge of Ashulia Police Station.

The fire broke out on the ground floor of the building in Manikganjpara around 7:00am when someone attempted to light a gas stove.

Mukta Begum, a resident of the neighbourhood, said she heard a loud bang and then saw the entire flat on fire.

“The victims were screaming for help. We rushed them to a local hospital,” she said.

The doors, windows and most of the things in the flat were damaged.

Several residents of the building alleged that gas pipes used illegally by their landlord were of bad quality.

Before he was detained by police, Abdul Hamid, the building owner, told reporters that he paid “a group of people” hefty sums for the unauthorised gas connection.

According to Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence, 4,236 incidents of fire from stoves took place last year, which accounts for 23.40 percent of the total incidents.

Six residents of a building in the capital's Uttarkhan died of burn injuries after leaky gas pipes caused a fire in a kitchen on October 13.

Earlier this year, four students of Khulna University of Engineering and Technology died of burn injuries in a similar incident in Mymensingh.

Related Topics

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top