12:00 AM, December 19, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:32 AM, December 19, 2018

Fast Unto Death: Latif Siddiqui falls sick

Abdul Latif Siddiqui, an independent candidate for Tangail-4, yesterday fell sick as he continued his fast unto death for the second consecutive day protesting the attack on his motorcade on Sunday.

After the attack, Latif demanded arrest of the attackers and withdrawal of the officer-in-charge of Khalihati Police Station in the district.

A two-member medical team, led by Tangail Civil Surgeon Dr Sharif Hossain, visited Latif around 11:00am yesterday and requested him to get admitted to a hospital.

But Latif refused either to go to a hospital or take saline. He said, “I will not withdraw my strike until my demands are met.”

After conducting a medical check-up, Sharif told The Daily Star that Latif had acute dehydration and his heart rate was decreasing.

He could catch pneumonia due to the cold. He needs to be taken to hospital immediately, the doctor added.

He is a patient of diabetes, asthma, heart disease and high blood pressure, said Latif's nephew Mosharraf Hossain Siddiqui.

“My uncle has not eaten anything since Sunday morning,” Mosharraf added.

Latif is not only a politician     but also an organiser of the Liberation War, said Latif's wife Laila Siddiqui after meeting the returning officer (RO).

He is staging the protest because he felt insulted after criminals attacked his motorcade, she added.

"The demands for withdrawing the officer-in-charge of Kalihati Police Station and arresting the attackers are not the demands of Latif only, these are the demands of Kalihati's mass people," she added.

Menwhile, Officer-in-Charge of Kalihati Police Station Mosharraf Hossain said three alleged attackers, including Salauddin Talukdar, son of incumbent upazila parishad chairman, were arrested in the evening.

Later in the day, a three-member medical team -- led by Dr Mofazzal Hossain, senior consultant (cardiology) of Tangail General Hospital -- was formed to monitor Latif's health condition following the RO's directive.

Contacted, RO Md Shahidul Islam said he had informed the Election Commission about the latest situation.

"The Electoral Inquiry Committee, comprising judicial magistrates, has also submitted its probe report to the Election Commission over the incident," he added.

Leave your comments