Nasirnagar Mayhem: Rasraj Das gets bail, finally | The Daily Star
Skip to main content
T
Sunday, September 17, 2023
The Daily Star
E-paper Today's News বাংলা
  • Home
  • News
    • Bangladesh
      • Investigative Stories
    • Investigative Stories
    • Asia
    • World
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
  • Life & Living
  • Youth
  • Tech & Startup
  • Multimedia
  • Feature
    • Lifestyle
    • Rising Star
    • Showbiz
    • My Dhaka
    • Satireday
    • Campus
    • Toggle
    • Star Literature
    • In Focus
    • Star Youth
    • Shift
    • Daily Star Books
    • Roundtables
    • Star Holiday
    • weekend read
  • More
    • Environment
    • NRB
    • Supplements
    • Law & Our Rights
  • E-paper
  • বাংলা
Search Epaper T
  • Today's News
  • Home
  • News
    • Bangladesh
    • Investigative Stories
    • Asia
    • World
  • Opinion
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
  • Life & Living
  • Youth
  • Tech & Startup
  • Multimedia
  • Feature
    • Lifestyle
    • Rising Star
    • Showbiz
    • My Dhaka
    • Satireday
    • Campus
    • Toggle
    • Star Literature
    • In Focus
    • Star Youth
    • Shift
    • Daily Star Books
    • Roundtables
    • Star Holiday
    • weekend read
  • More
    • Environment
    • NRB
    • Supplements
    • Law & Our Rights

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Apps
  • Comment Policy
  • RSS
  • Sitemap
  • Advertisement
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Conference Hall
  • Archives
Back Page
A Correspondent, Brahmanbaria
Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 AM
Last update on: Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:40 PM

Most Viewed

  • 'Bangladesh will be a dangerous side in the World Cup'

  • Govt move to check prices falls flat

  • Saint Martin’s Island: Govt mulls seaplanes, cruise ships for tourists

  • Study finds high level of microplastics in salt

Back Page

Nasirnagar Mayhem: Rasraj Das gets bail, finally

A Correspondent, Brahmanbaria
Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 AM Last update on: Tue Jan 17, 2017 01:40 PM

Rasraj Das, who was arrested in connection with an attack on the Hindus in Brahmanbaria's Nasirnagar upazila last year, was finally given bail yesterday.

Judge Md Ismail Hossain of Brahmanbaria District and Sessions Judge's Court granted him bail more than two months after the bail petition was filed.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

Referring to a forensic report, Rasraj's lawyer Nasir Mia said there was no evidence that he had posted any photograph on Facebook that hurt religious sentiments.

He added the court granted him bail till submission of a police report in this connection.

Earlier on October 30, around 200 religious bigots attacked at least five temples and vandalised and looted about 100 Hindu houses in several localities in Nasirnagar.

Jahangir Alam, owner of Al-Amin Cyber Point and Studio, shared an anti-Islamic post the previous day alleging Rasraj Das had posted it on Facebook.

Alam made copies of it and distributed those to mobilise people against the Hindu youth.

Rasraj, a fisherman with a background of little education, was detained after a Facebook post from a profile bearing his name had triggered the attack.

Now in police custody, Jahangir confessed his involvement. He told the police during interrogation that he had done it as per instruction of Haripur Union Parishad Chairman Dewan Atiqur Rahman Akhi.

Police arrested Akhi, one of the alleged masterminds of the attack, on January 4.

On November 8, a bail petition of Rasraj was rejected.

Two police probes said internal conflict of local Awami League resulted in the Nasirnagar attacks on the Hindus, while an investigation by Brahmanbaria district administration found no such links.

The district administration probe also found no neglect on part of the local police or the administration.

The police probes have, however, mentioned neglect of duty on part of the UNO and the OC concerned as a reason for the attacks being successful.

Two police probe committees -- one formed by the Police Headquarters in Dhaka and the other by Brahmanbaria district police -- investigated the attack of the religious zealots.

A few days ago, Amnesty International called for action for immediate release of Rasraj from “unlawful detention”.

“On November 28, a public report by the district police stated that the image had not been uploaded by Rasraj Das, and someone else had used his Facebook account,” the Amnesty said.

Apple Google
Click to comment

Comments

Comments Policy
ডেঙ্গু
|রোগ

ডেঙ্গুতে ২৪ ঘণ্টায় ১৮ জনের মৃত্যু, হাসপাতালে ৩১২২

ঢাকায় ১২ জন ও ঢাকার বাইরে ৬ জন মারা গেছেন। 

১৩ মিনিট আগে
|বাংলাদেশ

৪ বেসরকারি এয়ারলাইনসের কাছে বেবিচকের পাওনা ১২২২ কোটি টাকা

২৬ মিনিট আগে
Please Click on allow
The Daily Star
Journalism without fear or favour
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Apps
  • Comment Policy
  • RSS
  • Sitemap
  • Advertisement
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Conference Hall
  • Archives
© 2023 thedailystar.net | Powered by: RSI LAB
Copyright: Any unauthorized use or reproduction of The Daily Star content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
X