August 31, 1971
August 31, 1971
- Muktibahini Guerilla team launches an attack at Shibpur Police Station and set fire on a revenue office there. They also seize eight rifles, five shooter guns and 40 rounds of bullets from the police station.
- A guerilla team ambushes a team of Pakistani occupation forces near Putiyar. At one stage, the occupation forces are driven out from Narsindi in the face of massive resistance. Around 33 Pakistan soldiers including Punjab Regiment Captain Selim are killed during the four-hour-long fight.
- The Pakistani forces along with some local collaborators from Sunamganj reach Chirmisi bazar by 8 to 9 boats from Jaganathpur around 9 to 10:00am. The peace-loving people of Chhirmisi village are gathered at Chhirmisi High School ground in line with the directives of Razakars and Al-Badars. The barbaric occupation forces take the educated villagers and youths to another room and tie their hands behind their arms. Later, Razakar and Al-Badar men get them up on the boats in 15 to 16 groups and kill them by indiscriminate firing. They also fire some of the groups by making a queue with them beside nearby ponds. The occupation forces kill around 126 people of the village. Apart from this, they start destructive activities. They pour kerosene to around 250 shops of the Chirmisi Bazar and set those on fire. Razakar and Al-Badar men loot and torch on the houses of the innocent people of the village.
- US Senator Edward Kennedy, in a statement in New York, says that the US should cut its diplomatic ties with Pakistan if the country does not reach a peaceful political solution instead of launching military aggression.
- President Yahya appoints Dr MM Malik and Lt Gen Amir Abdulla Niazi as governor and military rule administrator respectively. But the military forces will discharge their duties following the previous path despite appointing nongovernment governor.