26 Bangladeshi migrants killed in Libya attack
The family of a Libyan human trafficker killed 30 migrants, including 26 Bangladeshi nationals, in revenge for his death, Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) has said.
The GNA interior ministry said in a statement on Thursday that 26 Bangladeshi and four African migrants had been killed in the town of Mizda and that 11 injured survivors were taken to a hospital in Zintan, Reuters reported.
"We have just learned of this tragedy and are following up to get more details and provide assistance to survivors," said Safa Msehli, Libya spokeswoman for the International Organisation for Migration.
Libya has long been a destination for migrants because of its oil-funded economy, but is also an important way-station for people attempting to reach Europe across the Mediterranean, according to the Reuters report.
Contacted, Alam Mostafa, first secretary (labour welfare) at Bangladesh Embassy in Tripoli, told The Daily Star that as soon as they heard about the incident they tried to visit the spot but could not reach there due to restrictions enforced over coronavirus outbreak.
He also said primarily they could learn that about 25 to 26 Bangladeshis were killed while another five to six Bangladeshis were injured in the incident.
The injured are undergoing treatment at different hospitals, the Bangladesh embassy official said.
Mission officials have visited the hospitals and enquired about treatment of the injured Bangladeshis, he also said.
He noted that Libya is in the midst of a war at present and that hospitals are busy with providing treatment to those injured from the war.
He added that they might be able to know further details about the killings of the Bangladeshis by today.