Germany 2-0 Costa Rica: What’s your prediction?
Wounded Germany will have their backs to the wall when they take on Costa Rica in their final World Cup Group E match on Thursday and know they must bag their first win of the tournament, preferably by a large margin, to have any chances of advancing.
The Germans are bottom of the group having gained only one point from their two matches so far, raising the spectre of another first-round exit following their early elimination in Russia four years ago.
Even victory over the Costa Ricans may not be enough, and Germany will be looking to Spain to inflict defeat on Japan to open the door to the next round.
Spain top the group on four points ahead of Japan and Costa Rica, both on three.
Four-times world champions Germany will be hoping to score a bagful of goals against Costa Rica, who had just one shot on target in their two matches.
A win over Costa Rica coupled with victory for Spain will see Germany advance but a draw between Luis Enrique's side and the Japanese, or even a win for Japan, would bring goal difference in to play.
Costa Rica could even go through with a draw, if Spain beat Japan, while four-times world champions Germany simply have to win.
2nd December, 01:00 am, Bangladesh time
Al Bayt Stadium, Al Khor, Qatar
Costa Rica 0
Germany: Neuer (GK) Klostermann, Sule, Rudiger, Raum; Kimmich, Gundogan, Gnabry, Musiala, Sane, Fullkrug
Costa Rica: Navas (GK), Fuller, Duarte, Vargas, Watson, Oviedo, Torres, Borges, Tejeda, Campbell, Contreras
* Since winning their fourth World Cup in 2014, Germany have won only one game at the tournament - a group stage match against Sweden in June 2018.
* Germany must pick up three points against Costa Rica to stay in contention for a berth in the last 16.
* Victory over Costa Rica coupled with a win for Spain against Japan will see Germany qualify. Goal difference could come into the equation with a draw or Japanese victory in the other Group E game.
* Keysher Fuller's 81st-minute goal against Japan was Costa Rica's first shot on target in the tournament.
* Costa Rica can reach the last 16 by defeating Germany. A draw would also get them a spot in the next round if Spain overcome Japan, but if the current group leaders lose then goal difference comes into play.