A forgotten hero | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, April 29, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:38 PM, May 03, 2017

A forgotten hero


Waheed started his American life as a security guard to the company until 1991 when he became a Vice President. In 1997 he started his own company and became a CEO of USS Security Services which provided security guard services to companies like UPS. As successful as Waheed was in his business and the industry, he was still unhappy because this was not his passion. His passion was always acting and being involved in the entertainment. In late 2001, Waheed had a falling out with one of his partners in his business. Within a year from losing his business Waheed had experienced severe financial difficulties. Waheed became depressed and dependent on alcohol to try to cope with taking care of his wife and three boys. Waheed's eldest son Matthew and wife Rona had been working in 2001 and began to help the household while Waheed searched to start a new company.

Waheed came from an elite family but his parents were never helpful in any way to him, and always refused to help him. In 2003 Waheed's mother Shireen traveled to Afghanistan to sell their properties in excess of over 3 million dollars. Waheed found out that they had given their youngest son 500,000 dollars to start his own company. Once Waheed found this out he was heart-broken. By 2003 Waheed's family had downgraded from a 4-bedroom house with a pool to a 2-bedroom apartment because that was all that they could afford. Waheed's downfall continued and the depression spiraled until November 28, 2004, when Waheed left a note that was directed towards his parents, which said: 

“I don't want to cause anyone any issues. Cremate my body. I have already looked up the price. It is only $800. Do not bury me as I know the cost is very high and I don't want to give you guys that hardship. I love my wife and my three boys but it's time to go.”

Later that night Waheed had decided to end his life by committing suicide via a bullet wound to the head. Waheed Kader left behind a wife and three young boys aged 21, 17, and 13 years old. 

One thing that Waheed would want you to know is that this story might have ended tragically for him, but not for his boys and wife. Waheed would be very proud to tell you that his family preserved and made it on their own. All the chips were stacked against them without their father and leader around, but Matthew Kline Kader took over the role of the man of the house and in 2004 started his own company without any capital or financial help from anyone. Matthew provided for his family until 2014 and now owns a home in Las Vegas with his wife and 7 month old son. Yama Kader, Waheed's middle son, who was 17 at the time of his death, went on to get a full paid basketball scholarship from a Division 3 college in Indiana by the name of Holycross. Yama graduated from Holycross in 2014 and moved back to Orange County Ca and lives with his girlfriend in Irvine California. Yossef Kader, Waheed's youngest son, was a star and captain of his high-school basketball team and graduated in 2010. Yossef is also the father to a 7-month old son. Rona Kader in 2012 received a job as a linguist for the United States Army and traveled to Afghanistan to translate documents and conversations from Pashtu and Persian to English. Today, Rona is back living in Irvine Ca with her son Yossef. We know Waheed is watching his sons, wife and grandsons, and he couldn't be happier. 

Bengali movie lovers will always remember Waheed who, along with his performance, will be remembered in Bangladesh long after his countrymen forgets him.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News