Non-stick cookware not safe
Non-stick cookware is now widely used in the kitchen for cooking purposes. But they release toxic fumes which are harmful for humans, animals and environment when heated at high temperatures. Non-stick cookware surfaces are coated with a synthetic polymer known as Teflon. When a non-stick cookware is heated during cooking, it releases toxic fumes and inhaling of this fume may cause flu like symptoms known as “Teflon Flu” in humans. It is better to restrict the use of non-stick cookware; instead, stainless steel cookware should be used for cooking.
In my opinion, we should go back to earthen pans and pots, our traditional cookware. These are safe. And using them can protect our cottage industries.
Professor M Zahidul Haque
Department of Agricultural Extension & Information System, SAU, Dhaka