Bangladesh have participated in all the following editions of World Cup since their inaugural World Cup in 1999. In these 20 years, the Tigers have improved dramatically.
Bangladesh played a total of 32 matches in the World Cup. The Tigers have won 11, lost 20 while one match was abandoned. Bangladesh have a win rate of 35.48 percent.
With the 10th edition of the ICC World Cup kicking off from May 30, let us look back at some of the interesting statistics from Bangladesh’s World Cup ventures:
1) Bangladesh reached the quarterfinal in the 2015 World Cup -- their best achievement till date. Earlier they qualified in the second Super Eights in the 2007 World Cup.
2) Bangladesh scored 322 runs against Scotland in 2010, the highest team total for Bangladesh in World Cup.
3) In the 2011 World Cup, the Tigers were bundled out for 58 runs against the West Indies -- the lowest team total of Bangladesh in the World Cup.
4) Shakib Al Hasan is the most successful batsman for Bangladesh in the World Cup. The all-rounder scored 540 runs in 21 matches at an average of 30.00.
5) The biggest victory for Bangladesh in the World Cup came against Afghanistan when the Tigers won by 105 runs in 2015.
The biggest margin win in terms of wickets came against Bermuda. The Tigers won by seven wickets in the 2007 World Cup.
6) Mahmudullah Riyad scored 128 runs in the 2015 World Cup against New Zealand -- the highest individual score by a Bangladeshi in the World Cup.
7) Mahmudullah scored two centuries in the World Cup -- the highest number of centuries by any Bangladeshi in the World Cup.
Shakib scored five half-tons in the World Cup -- most by any Bangladesh batsman in the World Cup.
8) Mahmudullah's 365 runs in the 2015 World Cup is the highest total runs scored in a World Cup by a Bangladesh player.
9) Mushfiqur Rahim smashed eight sixes in the World Cup -- the highest by any Bangladeshi player in the mega event.
However, Mahmudullah hit most sixes in an innings -- three -- against New Zealand in the World Cup 2015.
10) Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah strung together a 141-run fifth-wicket stand against England in World Cup 2015 -- the highest partnership ever made by a Bangladeshi pair in the World Cup for any wicket.
11) Shakib is the best bowler for Bangladesh in the World Cup. The all-rounder took 23 wickets in 21 innings.
12) So far no Bangladeshi bowlers could manage to take a five-wicket haul in the World Cup.
Shafiul Islam came close by taking four wickets for 21 runs against Ireland in the 2011 World Cup, the best bowling figures in a match by a Bangladesh player.
13) The record for most wickets in a single World Cup is held by Abdur Razzak. The spinner took 13 wickets in the 2007 World Cup.
14) Being a wicketkeeper, Mushfiqur Rahim made the highest number of dismissals from behind the wickets in the World Cup for Bangladesh. He made 18 dismissals playing in three World Cups.
Mushfiq made eight dismissals in the 2015 World Cup, also the highest for Bangladesh in a single World Cup.
15) Tamim Iqbal took the most catches for Bangladesh in the World Cup. He took nine catches in the three World Cups he played so far.
16) Mushfiqur, Shakib and Tamim have each played 21 matches in the World Cup for Bangladesh -- the highest number of World Cup matches by any Bangladeshi.