The International Cricket Council (ICC) has banned Bangladesh Test and T20 captain Shakib Al Hasan from all cricket for two years, with one year of that suspended, after he accepted three charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code. The ICC announced via a media release on Tuesday.
Shakib was found to be in breach of ICC’s Anti-Corruption Code for failing to report approach by bookies. According to the media release, Shakib was approached during the home tri-series against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka last year in January before he was approached a second time during the same series.
He also failed to report an approach during the IPL 2018 match between Sunrisers Hyderabad v Kings XI Punjab on 26 April 2018.
Shakib will be free to resume international cricket from October, subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction.
Shakib said he was extremely sad following the incident.
“I am obviously extremely sad to have been banned from the game I love, but I completely accept my sanction for not reporting the approaches. The ICC ACU is reliant on players to play a central part in the fight against corruption and I didn’t do my duty in this instance.
“Like the majority of players and fans around the world, I want cricket to be a corruption free sport and I am looking forward to working with the ICC ACU team to support their education programme and ensure young players don’t make the same mistake I did,” Shakib said.