Very often parents ask us whether they will able to offer seasonal fruits and vegetables to their child or not in this pandemic? How to make them safe or disinfected for consumption and how to preserve them.
The coronavirus is a new virus and we do not know all about this virus yet, but so far there is no evidence that it transmits through food or drink. Established mode of transmission is droplet infection. Questions may arise if droplets are on vegetables or fruits how can we make them disinfected or safe. It is quite simple. just follow these instructions:
• Wash your own hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Then put the fruits or vegetables one by one under running water for a minimum of twenty seconds. If they require rubbing to clean them, use a soft sponge to clean the dirt attached to the fruits or vegetables.
• No soap, detergent or chemicals are advocated to clean fruits or vegetables.
• After cleaning them as advised above, you may put them in water for more than 20 minutes, which is optional.
• Dry the fruits and vegetables with tissue papers.
• Now it is ready for consumption or to refrigerate for future use.
I think if someone follows these simple steps, it will make their fruits and vegetables safe enough for consumption. Stay safe, stay home and be happy.
The author is a Professor of Paediatrics at Community Based Medical College, Mymensingh.