A probe body formed by the Police Headquarters began its work today to assess alleged negligence from the part of police officials of Feni in connection with the arson attack on madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi that led to her death.
The five-member probe body, led by Deputy Inspector General (Media and Planning) of SM Ruhul Amin, was formed on April 13.
The committee went to Feni today where they will take accounts of police officials concerned, victim’s family members and other people concerned.
“The committee will assess and review the responsibilities and role of police officials concerned and see whether they played their due roles,” DIG Ruhul Amin told The Daily Star over phone from Feni.
The committee will also recommend to avoid recurrence of such incident in future, he said, adding that they will try to submit their report within the shortest possible time.
Replying to another query, the police official said he was not aware of a letter that, according to media reports, Feni Superintendent of Police SM Jahangir Alam Sarkar wrote to the Police HQ on April 11, blaming Nusrat’s family of lingering in filing of a case in connection with the killing of the madrasa girl by arson.
He, however, said they will look into the matter during the course of their investigation.
WHAT HAPPENED TO NUSRAT?
Madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi lost her battle for life last night, five days after she was set afire at a madrasa in Feni -- an incident that touched off outrage all over the country.
On April 6, a group of five unidentified persons poured kerosene on the 18-year-old girl and set her afire on April 6 allegedly for refusing to withdraw a case against the principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa over sexual assault on her late last month.