Jubo League leader murder: 2 Rohingyas killed in Cox’s Bazar 'gunfight'
11:11 AM, August 24, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:50 AM, August 24, 2019

Omar Faruk murder: 2 Rohingyas killed in Cox’s Bazar 'gunfight'

Two Rohingya people, also accused of Jubo League leader Omar Faruk murder case, were killed in a reported gunfight with police in Cox’s Bazar early today.

Deceased Muhammad Shah and Abdu Shukkur were residents of Zadimura Rohingya refugee camp at Hnila union of the district’s Teknaf upazila, our Cox's Bazar correspondent reports.

On information that the murder accused were at the base of Zadimura hill, a team of police led by Russel Ahmed, a sub-inspector of Teknaf Police Station and also Investigation Officer of Faruk murder case, went there on a drive around 1:30am, said Pradip Kumar Das, officer-in-charge (OC) of the police station.

Sensing presence of the law enforcers, the miscreants opened fire forcing them to retaliate starting a “gunfight”, the OC said.

At one stage, the alleged criminals managed to flee the spot, leaving bullet hit Muhammad Shah and Abdu Shukkur behind, the police official said.

They were taken to Cox's Bazar Sadar Hospital where doctors declared them dead, he said adding that the bodies are kept in the hospital morgue for autopsy.

Two sub-inspectors Monsur and Jamal and Constable Liton were injured during the “gun battle”, the OC said.

Police recovered two LGs, nine cartridges of short gun and 12 bullet shells from the spot, he said.


Jubo League leader Omar Faruk, 30, has been shot dead allegedly by a group of Rohingya miscreants in Hnila union in Teknaf upazila.

Police recovered the bullet-hit body of Omar Faruk, 30, president of Hnila Union Parishad Jubo Leage, from Jadimura area around 12:30am yesterday, police said.

The murder sparked a massive demonstration in the area as locals blocked the Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf highway for three hours from 10:00am yesterday protesting the murder. They also vandalised a couple of shops and houses inside a Rohingya camp in Jadimura.

Victim’s brother Amir Hamza said a group of Rohingya miscreants led by Md Selim and Nur Mohammad picked up Faruk from in front of his house around 10:30pm on Thursday.

They then dragged him to a nearby hill and shot him dead, Amir said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News