Stars who missed the cut
The 24 teams vying for glory in the upcoming Euro 2016 tournament to be held across France submitted their finalised squad lists yesterday.
The lists bring their own sense of ambiguity and now as the world over ponder the strengths and weaknesses of their favourite teams, we look back at some of the players which did not make the cut.
The most bitter case must be the one of winger Marco Reus, who was left out of Germany's final squad on his 27th birthday yesterday, (which might mean plans for birthday festivities could changeover injury concerns) missing out on his second consecutive major tournament.
Germany Coach, Joachim Loew, also cut 20-year-old midfielder Julian Brandt along with his Bayer Leverkusen team mate Karim Bellarabi and defensive midfielder Sebastian Rudy.
Borussia Dortmund's Reus, who would struggle to get through a one-month tournament due to long-standing fitness problems, Loew said.
"The medical staff could not give a clear prognosis for Marco," Loew told reporters.
"He has massive injury problems and the medical staff was very sceptical about his ability to last through the coming weeks and such a gruelling tournament.
The Germans, eyeing their fourth continental title and first since 1996, have been drawn in Group C along with Poland, Ukraine and Northern Ireland for the tournament in France starting on June 10.
Another casualty to be dearly missed comes in the form of Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal as he announced he will miss this month's tournament after the 24-year-old Spaniard sustained a muscular injury to his right leg during Saturday's Champions League final.
"I fought for two years to try to make the group and I am disappointed with myself for the bad luck I've had," Carvajal told Spanish radio station Cadena Cope.
Carvajal started for Real in the penalty shootout victory over Atletico Madrid but left the pitch in tears six minutes into the second half when the severity of his injury meant he could no longer continue.
England's squad also plans to make do without the likes of Tottenham winger Andros Townsend as well as midfielders Danny Drinkwater and Fabian Delph.
Manchester City's Delph pulled out of the squad with an injury last week and Ross Barkley was preferred to Leicester's Drinkwater.
The biggest shock however was clearly Andrea Pirlo's omission from the Italian squad. Pirlo on the other hand says he has no hard feelings towards coach Antonio Conte after the veteran playmaker was overlooked.
The 37-year-old midfielder, who plays for Major League Soccer (MLS) club New York City, has featured in every major tournament for his country since Euro 2004 but that run ended when he was left out of the provisional squad last week.
"I have spoken to Conte and there is no disappointment on my part," Pirlo told Sky Sports Italia. "He knows what he has to do and what he should not do.
Conte said last week that Pirlo and Sebastian Giovinco, who plays for Toronto, had paid the price for their decision to play in MLS.
Italy have been drawn in Group E with Belgium, Ireland and Sweden.