Dear Maya Apa,
I am a 17 year old boy. I am having difficulties memorising my study content. I can not concentrate for longer time and keep forgetting memorised content. I have a runny nose and cold all throughout a year. Can you please help me Maya Apa.
Thank you for sharing your problems and seeking help from us.
Runny nose, cold and fever are common problems among school going children and teens. Mostly it occurs due to lack of cleanliness and environmental pollution.
There are different causes of nasal discharge depending on type of fluid which includes the following -
Common Cold (Acute rhinitis)
Nasal Allergy (Allergic rhinitis)
Acute or chronic sinusitis
Infection and enlargement of tonsil (Adenoid)
If nasal discharge and cold are associated with persistent cough and fever then it indicates respiratory infection, which needs immediate medical attention and is to be treated with antibiotics to avoid further complications.
Usually clear watery nasal drip and cold are more commonly due to nasal allergy. It occurs when exposed to dust, pollens, fumes, cold and environmental pollution.
This happens due to the developmental physiological weakness of nasal fur that fails to properly filter the inhaled air.
Persistent nasal discharge and cold makes a person sick both physically and mentally that causes difficulties in focusing on studies, work etc.
Things you can do to improve your condition -
1. Avoid precipitating factors such as dust, allergen food, fumes, pollens, and rugs.
2. Avoid ice, cold water, and ice-cream and cold food.
3. Take steam inhalation twice daily for 15-20 minutes - put menthol in boiled water and inhale the steam.
4. Gargle with warm water and salt.
5. Wear oro-nasal mask when you are outside and traveling.
6. Wash your hands and nose frequently and try to use hand sanitiser.
7. Eat vitamin C containing fruits and vegetables- amloki, guava, amra, orange, lemon, papaya, melons, grapes, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.
8. Drink plenty of fluid-water, soup, green tea mixed with minced ginger and garlic.
9.Drink warm milk mixed with honey half an hour before bed.
10. Take zinc supplement - once a day.
These will help you boost up your immunity and help defend against cold and allergy.
Generally, blocked nose and snoring can be present for in adenoids, which usually regress by the age of 5-7 years. But in some cases, if it persists then it is usually due to a secondary repeated upper respiratory tract infection or physiological enlargement.
If symptoms persist further then visit an Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Specialist to find out the exact cause. There are antihistamines, nasal decongestants that relieve symptoms. Sometimes, minor surgical removal of adenoid may be required.
Please feel free to ask any other questions,
always by your side,