A gas leakage caused an explosion at the residence of Abdus Salam, mayor of Mirkadim municipality under Munshiganj on Tuesday, injuring 13 people.
The injured include the mayor's wife Kanun Begum, and four councillors. Kanun, who was seriously injured, and 11 others were admitted to Sheikh Hasina Burn Institute in the capital.
The blast occurred around 8pm inside a kitchen on the second floor of the building. The injured were taken to Munshiganj General Hospital, and later to Dhaka.
After inspecting the spot, Munshiganj Superintendent of Police Abdul Momen said several technical agencies, including Bomb Disposal Unit and Titas, have visited the spot and confirmed that the explosion was caused by a leakage in the gas line.
Abdus Salam said he and councillors were talking in a room of his house when the explosion occurred. His wife was near the kitchen, and she caught on fire. Witnessing the incident, he became unconscious.
A complaint will be filed against unidentified persons. Salam claimed the incident was caused by a vested quarter.