Candidates of Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (Ducsu) today protested together demanding a fair election to Ducsu tomorrow.
The panels of leftists, independent panel, quota reformists submitted a memorandum to the vice chancellor this afternoon in this regard.
Their demands include increasing the duration of voting, transparent ballot boxes, polling agents, and access to voting centres for journalists.
“Ballot boxes were supposed to go to centres on voting day. But we are seeing they have already been sent to the halls. Why is this,” Liton Nandi, vice-president candidate from the leftists’ forum, said during the protest.
AroniShamonti, VP candidate from an independent panel, alleged that the move has been made to ensure ballot stuffing overnight.
“We don’t want another farcical polls like what we saw on December 30. We want a fair election to Ducsu,” Nurul Haque Nuru, VP candidate from the quota reformists’ panel, said.
The joint charter of demands placed before the Vice Chancellor is:
1. Increasing the duration of vote casting by 4 hours
2. Access of media to all the polling centres inside halls
3. Action against those discouraging voters to appear
4. Transparent ballot boxes and provision of polling agents
5. Highest security to observersand voters
6. Taking ballot papers to voting centres on voting day
7. Increasing the number of university buses on the morning of voting day