Attack on Ducsu VP Nur, His Supporters: Two Moncho leaders detained by police
Detectives yesterday detained two leaders of Muktijuddho Moncho over the attack on Ducsu VP Nurul Haque Nur and his supporters on Sunday.
The detainees are Al Mamun, general secretary of the platform’s central unit, and Yeasir Arafat Turjo, general secretary of its Dhaka University unit, Abdul Baten, additional commissioner of Detective Branch of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), told The Daily Star yesterday noon.
He said they detained the two in the capital’s Shahbagh area.
Earlier in the day, Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina gave a “clear instruction” to take administrative and organisational action against the attackers.
Mamun is a former deputy liberation affairs secretary of the central unit of Bangladesh Chhatra League, the pro-AL student body. Turjo is the organising secretary of DU BCL.
Mamun took admission in the university’s political science department in 2010-11 academic session, while Turjo in Bangla department in 2013-14 session.
No case was filed over the attack as of filing this report at 11:45pm last night.
Around 12:30pm yesterday, some 500 students, including activists of Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad and different left-leaning student organisations, took out a procession under the banner of “Student Unity Against Violence” on the campus to protest the attack.
The procession, brought out from TSC area, ended in front of the proctor’s office after parading through the streets on the campus.
Speaking at a rally at the base of Raju Memorial Sculpture later, students demanded the proctor’s resignation for his “inaction” in Sunday’s incident.
“A proctor who could not save his students from criminals has no right to hold that post. He must resign immediately,” said Akhter Hossen, social service affairs secretary of Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (Ducsu).
Chhatra Federation President Jahid Shujan said, “The attack was carried out at a time when Abrar’s blood has not dried yet. The Dhaka University authorities are yet to take any action against the two who threw two students from the roof of Ducsu building.”
Abrar, a second-year Buet student, was beaten to death inside a dormitory of the university by some Chhatra League men in October.
On Sunday, activists of a faction of Muktijuddho Moncho, mostly comprised of Chhatra League men, beat up and injured Nur, storming into his office at the Ducsu building.
At least 27 of Nur’s supporters were injured in the attack.
The Moncho, claimed to be comprised of freedom fighters’ children, was founded in October last year to counter the anti-quota demonstrations led by Nur and other quota reformist leaders.
The condition of Tuhin Farabi, a private university student injured in Sunday’s attack, improved yesterday and he was taken off life support at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
He was still kept at the intensive care unit, the hospital’s director, Brig Gen AKM Nasir Uddin, told this newspaper.
Five injured, including Nur, were being treated at the hospital and a nine-member medical board was formed for their treatment, he added.
The other three injured are joint convenors of Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad Faruk Hasan, APM Suhel, and Nur’s brother Aminur.
CCTV FOOTAGE MISSING
Meanwhile, footage of CCTVs installed at different points of the Ducsu building had been missing since Sunday’s attack.
There are nine CCTV cameras in and around the building and the footage was recorded at the room of Ducsu Administrative Officer Abul Kalam Azad.
Talking to The Daily Star yesterday, Azad said the monitor and the computer at his room had been stolen.
He said after Nur and the others came under attack, he rushed his higher authorities to inform them about it. When he returned, he saw the lock of his room broken and the monitor and computer missing, he said.
Speaking at the rally yesterday, Akhtar, also a joint convener of Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad, which spearheaded the quota reform movement, demanded that the footage be showed to all.
The Dhaka University authorities yesterday formed a six-member committee to investigate Sunday’s incident. Arts Faculty Dean Prof Abu Md Delwar Hossain would lead the panel.
The other members include Shamsunnahar Hall Provost Prof Supriya Saha, Senate members Prof Ashim Sarker, Md Mizanur Rahman, Sir P.J. Hartog International Hall Provost Prof Md Mohiuddin and Assistant Proctor Prof Md Mainul Karim.
The committee was asked to submit its report along with recommendations within six working days, said a press release from the university’s Public Relation Office.
“An unwanted and unfortunate incident took place in Ducsu Building and Madhur Canteen area around 12:30pm on Sunday,” the release said, adding that the committee was asked to find out those involved in the incident.
Talking to reporters at his office, Obaidul Quader said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina gave a “clear instruction” to take action against the attackers.
He also said AL presidium member Jahangir Kabir Nanak visited the injured at the DMCH on Sunday night as per the instruction of the prime minister.
Legal action would be taken against those involved in the attack, added Quader, who is the road transport and bridges minister.
Asked about the Muktijuddho Moncho activists who carried out the attack, he said he talked to the home minister and told him to take action against them.
He said the incident was embarrassing for the party.