Abrar Fahad murder case: 22 accused plea to move case from speedy trial tribunal
Twenty-two accused of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) student Abrar Fahad murder case have filed a petition with the High Court for transferring the case from the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 of Dhaka, apprehending that they "will not get justice" from the tribunal.
The accused, now in jail, submitted the petition recently to the HC through their lawyer expressing no confidence in the judge of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 Abu Zafar Md Kamruzzaman.
Their lawyer Munsurul Hoque Chowdhury told The Daily Star today that the HC will hold hearing on the petition tomorrow.
Citing the petition, he said judge of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 Abu Zafar Md Kamruzzaman on November 30 recorded statement of the 39th prosecution witness of the case and fixed December 3 for recording statement of the 40th witness.
On December 3, the judge of the tribunal recalled the statement earlier given by the 33rd witness (a police officer) without issuing any prior notice.
Besides, the public prosecutor had earlier posted a status on the issue on Facebook, he said.
The accused petitioners apprehended that the judge may have an intention, and that is why, they submitted the petition to the HC seeking transfer of the case from the tribunal, lawyer Munsurul Hoque Chowdhury added.
Deputy Attorney General Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar told this correspondent that Buet student Abrar Fahad murder case is a sensational case.
The case has been sent to the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 of Dhaka for finishing its trial proceedings quickly, he said, adding that Attorney General AM Amin Uddin will place arguments on behalf of the state before the HC during hearing of the case transfer related petition.
Judge Abu Zafar Md Kamruzzaman of the Speedy Trial Tribunal on September 15 framed charges against all 25 accused in the case. Of them, three accused have been absconding since the incident.