India govt mulls action against BBC
Taking strong exception to the telecast of documentary film "India's Daughter" on the BBC, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh yesterday said appropriate action will be taken.
The MHA, which had on Wednesday contacted the External Affairs Ministry, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and the BBC to ensure that the documentary was not published in any form, has now written to the Information Technology Ministry to block it on the Internet.
"We had asked to not release the documentary, but the BBC aired it. We will investigate into it and the MHA will take action accordingly....the conditions [for permission to shoot the documentary] have been violated and therefore, action will be taken," Singh told the media yesterday.
The documentary was scheduled to be aired on the International Women's Day (March 8), but the BBC released it on Wednesday night.
The Delhi Police had earlier registered a case and obtained a court order restraining the parties concerned from releasing the documentary made by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin.
According to the MHA, the filmmaker violated the conditions -- which prohibited use of the documentary for commercial purposes, -- on which the Tihar Jail authorities had allowed her to record the interview of December 16 gang-rape convict Mukesh Singh.