Cristiano Ronaldo: 'Rape allegation documents were altered’
01:19 PM, October 11, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:21 PM, October 11, 2018

'Rape allegation documents were altered’

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Las Vegas criminal defence lawyer said today that the documents cited in the media reports in relation to rape claims were ‘fabricated’ by hackers.

According to Ronaldo’s lawyer Peter S Christiansen, the documents which acknowledge that non consensual sex occurred had been altered. Up until now their had been no confirmation from Ronaldo’s side that an agreement with former model Kathryn Mayorga existed but after today’s statement, the lawyer confirmed of it’s existence.

“Cristiano Ronaldo does not deny he agreed to conclude an agreement with [Ms Mayorga] but the reasons that led him to do so are at least to be misrepresented. This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt,” the statement as was quoted by The Guardian read.

“The documents that allegedly contain statements by Cristiano Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure inventions,” Christiansen said. “So there are no doubts: Cristiano Ronaldo vehemently denies all the accusations in this civil action, in consistency with what he has done in the last nine years.

The story was first brought into light by German magazine Der Spiegel. The magazine published a 9,000 word interview two weeks ago and they stood firm by their reporting of what happened.

“The statement that was issued by Peter Christiansen on behalf of Cristiano Ronaldo presents the usual path that Mr Ronaldo and his lawyers have taken in the past when unsuccessfully fighting our investigative work,” a statement released by Der Spiegel read following Christiansen’s statement.

“We stand by our reporting. Our story is carefully researched. We have hundreds of documents from different sources that substantiate our reporting. We have no reason to believe that those documents are not authentic. Furthermore, as always and before publishing every single article, we have meticulously fact-checked our information and had it legally reviewed.”

Christiansen replaced high-profile criminal defence attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld as Ronaldo’s legal representative in Las Vegas. Ronaldo’s lawyer in Berlin, Christian Schertz, has refused comment about the rape allegation.

This month, Las Vegas Police said they had reopened an investigation into a rape accusation made by a former model who said soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo attacked her in his Las Vegas hotel penthouse suite in 2009.

Related Topics

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top