Police said Monday they had reopened an investigation into a rape accusation made by a former model who says soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo attacked her in his Las Vegas hotel penthouse suite in 2009.
Ronaldo rejected the charges as "fake news" during a live chat on Instagram.
"What they said today, fake -- fake news," the 33-year-old star said in a post that was later deleted.
Kathryn Mayorga, 34, accused Ronaldo, in a 32-page complaint filed last month with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13, 2009.
The Las Vegas Police Department in a statement that didn't name the superstar it had responded to a call of a sexual assault on that date.
"At the time the report was taken, the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description. A medical exam was conducted," it said.
"As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided by the victim."