Tanzim Sakib said sorry for social media posts: Jalal Younus
Bangladesh pacer Tanzim Hasan Sakib has told BCB that he regrets his Facebook posts while claiming that neither his posts were aimed to hurt anyone nor he is against women.
Bangladesh Cricket Board's operations committee chairman Jalal Yunus told this to reporters after having a discussion with the young pacer, who has come under fire since his misogynistic social media posts condemning working women went viral.
The Under-19 World Cup winning member recently made his debut for Bangladesh against India in the Asia Cup, taking two crucial wickets as Bangladesh won that match by six runs. Just as the cricketer was the focus of adulation of cricket fans, Facebook posts from as early as last year surfaced online where he had questioned the modesty of working women and the character of women who go to same universities with male students.
"From the cricket operations (of BCB), we have spoken to Tanjim Sakib. We had brought into his notice of the Facebook posts he had made. He said that he didn't have the intention to hurt anyone through those posts," Younus said after having met Sakib at the BCB office on Tuesday.
"He took responsibility for the misogynist posts, but said he is not against women. We have told him to be wary and we have relayed to him that BCB will monitor any further posts he makes," the BCB official added.
When asked whether any action would be taken against the young cricketer, Younus said that there is certainly a code of conduct of BCB and the cricketer has been reminded of that.