Another body recovered, death toll now 21
Fire Service officials today recovered another body from the site of Tuesday's deadly blast at a building in Gulistan.
The death toll from the explosion is now 21.
The body was brought out from the severely damaged building around 12:15pm, reports our staff correspondent from the spot.
The deceased was Mehedi Hasan Swapan, claimed the victim's brother-in-law Abdus Sattar Babul.
Swapan, a manager of a shop in the basement of the building, has been missing since the explosion on Tuesday.
Earlier this morning, Anwarul Haque, vice-principal of the Fire Service Training Complex, told The Daily Star, "Mehedi Hasan Swapan's relatives claim that his body can be found under this building. We've started a rescue operation."
The rescue operations resumed for the third day at the basement of the building around 8:45am today.
More than 100 people were also injured in the explosion at a building in Dhaka's Siddikbazar. Fire officials said the explosion took place around 4:45pm on Tuesday.
The cause behind the huge blast is still not known, but officials suspect that accumulated gas might be a likely cause.