12:01 AM, April 27, 2014 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:53 AM, March 08, 2015

Picked up from Uttara, found dead in Laxmipur

Picked up from Uttara, found dead in Laxmipur

Family says plainclothes law enforcers abducted the Jubo Dal leader
Star Report

Police yesterday recovered the bullet-hit body of a Jubo Dal leader in Laxmipur 33 hours after he had been abducted allegedly by law enforcers from the capital's Uttara on Thursday night.
Shamsul Islam Solaiman, 42, was an assistant organising secretary of the Laxmipur district unit of Jubo Dal, the youth front of the BNP.
On information from locals, police recovered his body around 8:00am from Basurhat in Sadar upazila, said Sub Inspector (SI) Mozammel Hossain, in-charge of Dasherhat police outpost in Laxmipur.
Hailed from Charshahi of Laxmipur Sadar, Shamsul's family have been living in the capital's Goran for over two decades.
He used to run a lace factory in Khilgaon, near his residence.
The victim's wife Salma Islam claimed that her husband was killed only because of his involvement in BNP politics.
According to her, some five to six men identifying themselves as law enforcers kidnapped her husband at gunpoint from Road 5 near Zainal Market at Uttara Sector 6 around 11:00pm on Thursday night.
“I and my husband were returning from a doctor's chamber by a rickshaw. As we reached the market, two young men, both aged around 20, got down from a microbus and blocked the rickshaw, brandishing arms,” Salma told The Daily Star yesterday.
She claimed to have seen three to four more people sitting inside the microbus and one of them had beards and long hair.

“My three-and-a-half-years old son was sitting on my husband's lap. While confronting my husband, the criminals grabbed my son and hurled him on the road. And then they forced him into the microbus and sped away,” said Salma, a mother of three.
On Friday, she lodged an abduction case with Uttara Model Police Station against five to six unidentified men.
Shamsul's sister-in-law Parveen Afroze said some unidentified people contacted them over the phone following the abduction.
“They offered to release him if we gave them some money,” she told The Daily Star, without disclosing the amount.
Around 3:00am on Saturday, some locals from Laxmipur informed the family that two vehicles of Rapid Action Battalion and three microbuses entered Basurhat area at that time and stayed there for around 15 minutes, she added.
“In the morning, we heard the news of the recovery of his body and rushed to Laxmipur from Dhaka,” said Parveen.
Contacted, Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, commanding officer of Rab-11 which covers the area, said no Rab vehicles went to Basurhat in last one week.
Police sent the body to Laxmipur Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
SI Mozammel of Dasherhat police outpost said Shamsul was a listed criminal and had several cases filed against him.


Leave your comments