Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu addresses a press briefing at Press Information Department in the Secretariat on Thursday. Photo: Focus Bangla
The government is preparing a list of madrasa teachers who “deceived” children to join violent political activities” sponsored by Hefajat-e Islam, Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu said on Thursday.
Addressing a press briefing at the Press Information Department (PID) at the Secretariat, the minister vowed action against the Islamist group.
The announcement came three days into Hefajat-e Islam rally in the capital's Motijheel area. When the law enforcers started operation to disperse them from the venue, the senior leaders fled away leaving many children who were brought to capital from different Quami madrasas across the country.
Inu called upon the opposition to hand them a list of the 2,500 people it claimed to have been killed during the operation.
The minister's urge came hot on the heels of the propaganda by the BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami that nearly 2500-3000 people have been killed when law enforcers flushed the Hefajat men out of Shapla Chattar area in the capital early Monday.
He also called upon the opposition activists to offer unconditional apology to the nation if they fail to reveal the names.
Earlier on Wednesday, trashing the claim of death of 2,500 to 3,000 Hefajat activists merely as a rumour, Dhaka Metropolitan Police said 11 people, including a policeman, died in Motijheel between Sunday and early Monday.
A vested ill-motivated group was campaigning that over 2,500 to 3,000 people had died during law enforcers’ drive to flush out Hefajat men from Shapla Chattar and adjoining areas, DMP Commissioner Benazir Ahmed said at a press briefing.