Riquelme, Tevez left out | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 13, 2008 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, March 13, 2008

Riquelme, Tevez left out

Argentina have left out midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme and forward Carlos Tevez from their squad for this month's friendly away to African champions Egypt.
Coach Alfio Basile called up uncapped Girondins Bordeaux striker Fernando Cavenaghi for the match in Cairo on March 26 while Porto's Lisandro Lopez was also given the chance for a rare outing.
Basile said he would be interested to see how the team, which usually revolves around Riquelme, would perform without the mercurial playmaker.
"When Riquelme doesn't play in my team, the whole system changes," Basile told a news conference. "He's a player who controls the whole team and it's difficult to find someone else who can do the same thing.
"But it's good to test other ways of playing."
Tevez was sent off in the 2-1 World Cup qualifying defeat to Colombia in November and will miss their next competitive game, another qualifier against Ecuador in June.
Basile warned that Egypt, who will be playing their first match since winning the African Nations Cup for the second time running last month, would be tough opponents.
"It's very difficult to win two successive tournaments in Africa with all those great players. They're a very strong team and they beat all the star players. It will be a tough test."
Argentina will also be without forward Lionel Messi, who is expected to be out for six weeks with a thigh injury he suffered during last week's Champions League match for Barcelona against Celtic.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top