Alauddin & Elahi
The families of three Bangladeshi workers, who died in a construction site accident in Malaysia last week, will receive Malaysian Ringgit (RM) 25,000 each.
Malaysian Human Resources Minister Richard Riot today made the announcement of the compensation, reports local English daily The Star.
He said they are in contact with the Bangladesh high commission in Kuala Lumpur and awaiting their verification of the beneficiaries.
“We do not want the money to fall in the wrong hands. We will release the money as soon as the embassy completes its verification,” he told local reporters.
Family members grieving for Alauddin Mollik, 34, of Pabna as the two men along with Faruk Khan, 38, of Munshiganj were killed Monday in a construction site collapse in Malaysia where they went in hope of bettering their lives. Photo: Star
Contacted, Mantu Kumar Biswas, counsellor (labour) at the Bangladesh high commission, said the victims’ employer company Mass Rapid Transit Corporation will give the compensation according to the Malaysian labour laws.
Three Bangladeshis -- Elahi Hossain and Alauddin Mollick of Ishwardi Upazila in Pabna and Faruk Khan of Sirajdikhan upazila in Munshiganj -- were killed when a 300-tonne concrete span collapsed on them in the workplace.
A relative consoles the brother of Elahi Hossain, 31, of the same district, as the two men along with Faruk Khan, 38, of Munshiganj were killed Monday in a construction site collapse in Malaysia where they went in hope of bettering their lives. Photo: Star
They used to work as construction workers for the Malaysian company.
Their bodies were brought back home from Kuala Lumpur on Thursday and buried at their respective village homes.