A Dhaka court today asked Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to submit probe reports before it by August 13 in two cases filed in connection with Rana Plaza building collapse that killed at least 1,135 people and maimed scores.
Senior Judicial Magistrate Wasim Sheikh passed the order as Bijoy Krishna Kar, assistant superintendent of police of CID and also the investigation officer of the cases, failed to submit the probe report today.
CID officials told the court that they were taking time to complete the investigation as they had to record depositions of a large number of victims, Court Inspector Asaduzzaman told The Daily Star.
Savar police and Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha (Rajuk) filed the cases following the disaster on April 24 last year.
— Emma Stokes (@ekstokes) June 26, 2014
Rajuk official Helaluddin filed one of the cases against building owner Sohel Rana for structural fault found at the nine-story building, constructing the structure with substandard materials and violating the National Building Code.
The other case was filed by Sub-Inspector Wali Ashraf of Savar Police Station against Rana, his father Abdul Khalek, and the owners of five garments housed in the nine-storey building for the loss of lives.
— Miranda Green (@greenmiranda) June 29, 2014
Apart from the two cases, Sheuli Akter, wife of Jahangir Alam, whose body was recovered on April 24, filed another case against Rana, Bazlus Samad Adnan, owner of New Wave Style, and the chief engineer of Savar Municipality.
Seven out of 21 accused in the cases have already been out of prison on bail from the High Court while the rest including Sohel Rana is in jail now.