|Home - Back Issues - The Team - Contact Us|
|Volume 11 |Issue 46| November 23, 2012 ||
Face off with Facebook
The personality of a man is known by the character of the people attending his funeral, so has been said. But, today, perhaps in Digital Bangladesh more than ever before, and for that matter in any part of the world, thanks to globalisation, one's mind-set, beliefs, and disposition can be judged to a great extent by his or her Facebook friends.
This is however no occasion to consider those without an FB ID as characterless or vice versa, the fact is that the online application has become the way of life for many, even for many who had given up life in a way.
Encompassing enthusiasts from all ages and creeds, barring none, embracing all, it is an embodiment of modern democracy, where proper language and correct spelling is misunderstood as travesty. Patriotic, political, romantic, egotist, arty, critical, humorous, sad, hurt, aggressive, helpful, benevolent, family, could-not-care-less, stupid, lost, … you find them all churning out post after post twenty-five (?) hours a day.
What perplexes me most is the attention given (or not) to the avatar. There are some who shall change their profile pic on a daily basis, and then there are others who shall upload a landscape instead of face and then hide behind a pseudo name. Let's face it! Facebook without a face is like a nameless man walking the street without a head or, worse, with someone else's head or a tree.
Here are some random postings:
* Unrest at Islamic University keeps my wife in 2nd year for two years. I need her grad. to be completed badly. When law doesn't work, law of the nature takes the floor. Eagerly waiting for that.
* Allah's delay is not Allah's denial.
* Why is that Awami League and BNP lose their head when they hear about the third force? …let them pass a bill in parliament so that the two parties can alternately form the government for eternity, when one party comes to power the other will go into a hole, no one will think about a third party. In that way the expenditure for elections will be saved, people will also not expect too much from any party…
* Emotion is probably inversely proportional to age....
* Kids with special needs are not weird or odd. They only want what everyone else wants... to be accepted. Can I make a request? Is anyone willing to post this in honour of all children who were made in a unique way. Let's see who has a strong heart.
* Confidence is sexy...so please be sexy... i would like that ;)
* my heart has broken to see picture of 4 children's death body on the cover of Kuwait Times this morning...I am a lay person...I don't understand Politics... I don't know how Mr. Obama become blind or silent...only thing I want to know that no more children are dying in their sleep in Gaza or entire middle-east...
* Accepting defeat is not cowardice or failure… It's knowing you did all you could but still missed the mark… Learn from it… So as to not let it happen again… Life can be tricky… And I've been tricked by life…
* The incursion and bombardment of Gaza is not about destroying Hamas. It is not about stopping rocket fire into Israel, it is not about achieving peace. The Israeli decision to rain death and destruction on Gaza, to use lethal weapons of the modern battlefield on a largely defenseless civilian population, is the final phase in a decades-long campaign to ethnically-cleanse Palestinians.
* I fell in love with u. I don't know how, I don't know why. I just did...
* Is there anything more inspiring and humbling than the pure talent and passion of those who spend their lives on the stage? =)
* The key principle of Tawheed is that Allaah is completely separate from His creation. Creation neither surrounds Him nor is above Him in any way. He, Allaah is above all things.
* humans are the only creature in this world who cut the trees, made paper from it and then wrote, 'Save trees' on it
* Today's kids will not believe, how hard it was to get a picture of the class IX girl I fell in love with.
* Jamaat-Shibir's volatile path to stop the trial of war criminals.
* Ya Allah! Keep me among those who you have blessed… among those you have kept safe.
* When Israeilis in the occupied territories now cliam that they have to defend themselves, they are defending themselves in the sense that any military occupier has to defend itself against the population they are crushing... You can't defend yourself when you're militarily occupying someone else's land. -- Naom Chomsky
And, yes, a lot many of the postings are in Bangla, the Hindi songs transliterated, as are the Urdu poems.
Copyright (R) thedailystar.net 2012