David Warner said wife Candice had been his “rock” and the driving force behind his return to Australia after the opener’s first international century since a ball-tampering ban during a win over Pakistan.
The opener made 107, his first hundred in Australia colours since an Ashes century against England during in 2017, as the World Cup champions won by 41 runs at Taunton on Wednesday.
Both Warner and former captain Steve Smith were given 12-month bans by Cricket Australia following their roles in a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
“I was always coming back to international cricket if selected,” Warner said in his first major press conference since his suspension expired. “The thing that kept me going was my wife and kids.
“My wife is just, she’s just my rock. She’s unbelievable. She’s determined, disciplined, selfless,” the 32-year-old left-hander added.
“She’s a strong woman. And she got me out of bed a lot in those sort of first sort of 12 weeks, and got me back running and training hard as I could... She really nailed that into me.”
Candice Warner, who is pregnant with the couple’s third child, is now in England.
Australia, whose next match is against Sri Lanka at the Oval on Saturday, now have an official period of ‘family time’ starting Thursday when players can see their wives and families.
“We’re fortunate enough to have our families away with us which is great and obviously we’re going to be here for a while in the UK,” said Warner, set for a long stay given Australia remain in England for an Ashes series after the World Cup.
While Smith and Cameron Bancroft, who received a nine-month ban, gave interviews during their suspensions, Warner maintained his silence following an emotional press conference at Sydney Airport after he was sent home.