Trump 'bans Washington Post'
White House hopeful Donald Trump, in his latest attack on the media, said Monday he was rescinding The Washington Post's press credentials for covering his campaign events.
"Based on the incredibly inaccurate coverage and reporting of the record-setting Trump campaign, we are hereby revoking the press credentials of the phony and dishonest Washington Post," Trump wrote in a tweet.
Later, the campaign said in a statement that "we no longer feel compelled to work with a publication which has put its need for 'clicks' above journalistic integrity."
The distinguished daily became the latest media outlet targeted by the Trump camp, which has reportedly banned several news organizations from attending his events and press conferences over the past year, including Buzzfeed, the Des Moines Register, the Huffington Post, Politico and Univision.
The dustup appeared to have been triggered by a Post story that reported Trump's comments earlier in the day in which he slammed President Barack Obama for poor leadership in battling extremism following the horrific shooting in Orlando, Florida by a radicalized gunman.
Meanwhile, Democrats in the US capital Washington went to the polls yesterday to cast ballots in the last remaining primary of the marathon 2016 presidential campaign, but the contest comes a bit late, with Hillary Clinton already the presumptive nominee.
Clinton is expected to do well in the city, which has a large African-American population. Republicans in Washington held their party convention in March, with Donald Trump emerging as the top vote-getter. Trump is now the presumptive GOP nominee.
Sanders, who so far has refused to concede the race to Clinton, said over the weekend that he plans to meet with her to discuss the Democratic party platform ahead of next month's convention in Philadelphia.
Sanders met at the White House last week with President Barack Obama, who endorsed Clinton a short time later.