US completes pullback from northeast Syria | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, December 06, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:36 AM, December 06, 2019

US completes pullback from northeast Syria

The United States has completed its military pullback in northeastern Syria, settling into a more stable posture of about 600 troops in the rest of the country after repositioning and reducing forces, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said.

Esper’s remarks in an interview with Reuters could signal the end of a period of turbulence and uncertainty surrounding the US military presence in Syria after President Donald Trump’s initial withdrawal order in October.

Since then, troop levels in Syria have fallen about 40 percent from around 1,000.

Esper stressed he retained the ability to move in and out smaller numbers of forces as needed into Syria. But he suggested the number of troops will fluctuate around the 600-level for the foreseeable future.

“It will be relatively static around that number. But if we see things happen ... I can dial up a little bit,” Esper said late on Wednesday during a flight back from the Nato summit on the outskirts of London.

Esper also didn’t rule out being able to reduce US troop levels in Syria further if European allies contributed to the Syria mission.

The US military says it is focused on preventing a resurgence of Islamic State in Syria. Trump, in London, said he wanted remaining U.S. forces to ensure Syria’s oil reserves don’t fall back into the militant group’s hands.

“We kept the oil. And the oil is what fueled ISIS,” Trump said, using an acronym for Islamic State.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top