A five-year-old can be a hero, too.
Noah Woods of Bartow County in Georgia, US, has been named an honourary firefighter after he pulled his sister out of a window in a house fire and went back in to save the family dog.
The brave five-year-old boy will receive a rare lifesaver's award for his heroics, reports CNN today.
The incident took place on Sunday at the family's home in Bartow County when Noah woke up to smoke and flames in the room that he shared with his two-year-old sister. All the other seven family members were asleep.
Without getting panicked, he jumped out of bed, grabbed his sister and went out through an open window, the only exit available.
But that was not all. The boy then went back inside to get their family dog and pulled it to safety as well, reports CNN.
He then ran to his uncle's house next door for help, and together they alerted the rest of the family.
Everyone eventually made it out safely.
The Bartow County Fire department has hailed Noah's heroics.
"We've seen children alert their families before. But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this ... that's pretty extraordinary," Dwayne Jamison, chief of the fire department, told CNN.
The fire originated from an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah's bedroom. Noah and four other family members were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation, Jamison said.
"By the grace of God, all nine of our loved ones were able to get out of our home," Noah's grandfather David Woods said in a GoFundMe post.
"If it wasn't for Noah, we may not be here today."
The house, however, got damaged in the fire, and the family has called upon the community to help them get back on their feet, reports CNN.
The Bartow County Fire Department has announced that it will recognise Noah as an honourary Bartow County firefighter and present him with a lifesaving award typically reserved for professional rescuers on Friday.
Georgia Governor Brian Kemp has sent a letter to be read to Noah during the ceremony, after he came to know about the boy's heroics.