Hajj stoning ritual to be cut short
A stoning ritual which led to the deaths of about 2,300 people during last year's hajj will be more tightly controlled during next month's pilgrimage, Saudi newspapers reported yesterday.
The period during which pilgrims can perform the Jamarat ritual will be reduced by 12 hours, the Saudi Gazette and Arab News said.
The symbolic stoning of the devil will be performed as usual over three days beginning September 11 at Mina, about five kilometres east of Mecca's Grand Mosque, Islam's holiest site.
But this year there will be no stoning allowed from 6:00 to 10:30am on the first day, from 2:00 to 6:00 pm on the second day and from 10:30 am to 2:00 pm on the final day, the hajj ministry said.