Short Corner | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, April 17, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, April 17, 2019

Short Corner

'Bayern won't exceed 100m euros for a player'

AFP

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness ruled out breaking the 100 million euros ($113 million) mark this summer and said he would buy French striker Kylian Mbappe "immediately" if he had the money.

Bayern are planning a major squad overhaul this summer, and have already confirmed the signings of French World Cup winners Benjamin Pavard and Lucas Hernandez.

The Bayern president ruled out spending 100 million euros on a single player in the summer transfer window, but suggested that Bayern may break that figure in the future.

"There definitely won't be a 100 million euro transfer this year, but I have to admit that ten years ago, I couldn't have imagined spending 80 million," he said.

The sum of 80 million euros was what Bayern paid to sign Hernandez from Atletico Madrid, a figure nearly double that of their previous record transfer -- fellow Frenchman Corentin Tolisso.      

Real disappoint again in dreary draw

AFP

Real Madrid took the Monday night slot reserved for La Liga's lower teams and never really looked out of place as Karim Benzema's goal was enough only for a 1-1 draw away to Leganes.

Madrid delivered another thoroughly underwhelming performance at Butarque to remain 13 points adrift of Barcelona, with Zinedine Zidane's second reign as coach now delivering three wins, one defeat and a draw.

Leganes might even have won it after Jonathan Silva gave them the lead shortly before half-time and while Benzema scored his 26th goal of the season, Madrid never looked like finding a winner.

"It looks like we do not have much confidence," Zidane said. "We have to give a little bit more."

Instead, they sit four points behind Atletico Madrid and finishing second, and above their city rivals, appears unlikely. Leganes climb to 11th.   

Pele leaves Brazil hospital after successful surgery

AFP

Pele was released from a Sao Paulo hospital on Monday, his Brazilian doctors said, two days after the football great had surgery to remove a kidney stone.

The three-time World Cup winner was admitted to the Albert Einstein hospital last Tuesday, after returning from France where he had received treatment for a urinary tract infection.

"The patient ... was discharged from hospital this morning," his doctors said in a statement.

Pele had an operation on Saturday to remove the "kidney stone," which the hospital had previously described as a "ureteral stone."

The procedure was "successful," the doctors had said.

Pele, who is widely considered to be the greatest footballer in history, spent almost a week in a Paris hospital after falling ill following an appearance at a promotional event with France striker Kylian Mbappe.        

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top