Pandya's 'misogynist' comments spark anger
India cricket chiefs Wednesday ordered star all-rounder Hardik Pandya to explain sexist comments made on a TV chat show after the remarks sparked social media outrage and prompted the player to apologise.
Pandya and batsman Lokesh Rahul, who also took part in the interview, have both been ordered to explain their comments. Both are currently on India's tour of Australia.
The announcement came only a few hours after the 25-year-old Pandya posted his apology on social media.
"After reflecting on my comments on Koffee with Karan, I would like to apologise to everyone concerned who I may have hurt in any way," Pandya said on Twitter.
"Honestly, I got a bit carried away with the nature of the show. In no way did I mean to disrespect or hurt anyone's sentiments. Respect," he added.
The show hosted by Bollywood producer and director Karan Johar encourages guests to open up on personal matters.
Pandya boasted about his success with multiple women.
"You are just watching and observing how they move as I said I am a little from the black side (influenced by West Indies culture) so I have to see how they (women) move first," he said.
Pandya also said he had bragged to his parents after losing his virginity. He was quickly slammed for his views on women. -- Afp
ICC reinstates USA
The International Cricket Council approved USA Cricket as its 105th member on Tuesday, restoring the sport in the United States after the expulsion of a previous national governing body.
The move making USA Cricket the ICC's 93rd associate member allows the group to obtain ICC development funding and sanction international and domestic cricket in the United States.
That is expected to open the door for T20 Internationals to be played in Florida, which has a large base of West Indies supporters.
The USA Cricket Association had previously been an associate member of the ICC but was suspended over governance issues for a third time in 2015 before being expelled in June 2017. -- Afp
Pavard to join Bayern
French World Cup winning defender Benjamin Pavard will join Bayern Munich from Stuttgart on a five-year contract as of July 1, the defending German champions revealed Wednesday.
Media reports in Germany put the transfer at 35 million euros ($40 million) for the 22-year-old who can play at right-back or centre-back.
"He is young and a world champion, so we are happy and proud to have won over such a player," said Bayern's sports director Hasan Salihamidzic at their winter training camp in Doha.
Pavard has been at struggling VfB Stuttgart, who are currently third from bottom in Germany's top flight, since 2016 after he joined from French side Lille for five million euros. -- Afp
Barcelona snap up Todibo
Barcelona will sign promising French centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo on a free transfer from French top flight outfit Toulouse this summer, the Spanish club announced on Tuesday.
The 19-year-old who models himself on Paris Saint-Germain's Brazilian centre-half Thiago Silva will move to Barca on July 1.
He only made his first-team debut in August and has played 10 times in Ligue 1 this season.
Born in French Guyana Todibo has also played for the French under-20 side twice.
A Barcelona statement read: "Barcelona have reached an agreement with the French player Jean-Clair Todibo for him to join the Club from 1 July 2019.
"The player's contract with Toulouse ends on 30 June this year and so he will join on a free transfer." -- Afp