Fire at old NSC building | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 09, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, November 09, 2019

Fire at old NSC building

A fire yesterday gutted one of the rooms on the first floor of the old building of the National Sport Council, but fortunately none of the sportspersons, who are camping in adjacent rooms for the upcoming South Asian Games, were injured as it happened on Friday when all the players were on leave.

The fire broke out at around 10:45am and razed chairs, tables, foams and mats of the taekwondo, wrestling and judo federations, which used the space as a store room.

Niazul Nahid, officer of the general section of the NSC, confirmed the news to The Daily Star.

“Since it was Friday, no one was there at the time. What I heard is that the security guard was present and he called the fire service and the fire was brought under control after a while. Authorities are suspecting a short circuit to be the reason for the fire but the extent of damage is yet to be ascertained,” Niaz said.

The first floor of the building is hosting the women’s kabaddi team, men’s and women’s weightlifting teams and men’ and women’s taekwondo teams for the SA Games camp. However, all the players were on leave on Friday. Had the fire broken out on another day, something more serious could have happened.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top