BCB committed to continue Wolves series despite Covid scare | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 06, 2021 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:33 AM, March 06, 2021

BCB committed to continue Wolves series despite Covid scare

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) said they are committed to continuing the multi-format series between the Bangladesh Emerging Team and the visiting Ireland Wolves after the first of five unofficial ODIs was cancelled yesterday due to a visiting player testing positive for coronavirus.

The news broke during the 30th over of the Bangladesh Emerging Team innings when the hosts were 110 for four at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chattogram. The on-field umpire stopped play and informed the cricketers that one of the Irish players had tested positive.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury told The Daily Star that two types of tests -- a nasal swab and a throat swab -- were done before the first match. One set of results showed everyone as having tested negative, but the other set of results which arrived yesterday morning with the match already underway, revealed that pacer Ruhan Pretorius had tested positive.

The 30-year-old pacer, who picked up a wicket in the game, was later isolated and players and officials of both teams underwent another round of tests.

"Look, we have zero tolerance in taking necessary steps to ensure the health safety of all," the BCB CEO said. "We are not going to take any chance and the player in question has already been isolated and was tested. We will get the results soon and will take the necessary steps with the other players and staff of both teams.

"I have spoken with the visiting Ireland Wolves officials and they have taken the matter very sportingly. We are committed to continue this series as per schedule."

The visiting Ireland Wolves lost the lone four-day game by 23 runs and are scheduled to play the second ODI tomorrow at ZACS. The one-day series will be followed by a two-match unofficial T20I series.

"These incidents are part of the new normal in this pandemic and if the result of the test had come before the start of the game, it would have been taken care of smoothly and the match wouldn't have been cancelled. The player in question had no symptom, but we will go through testing of all the related people and expect to get the results by tomorrow [Saturday]," he added.

The incident took place a day after the Pakistan Super League was cancelled as the number of positive Covid-19 cases among players and support staff had reached seven, forcing organisers to halt the tournament after just 14 games.

This was the first time the BCB had to cancel a game due to coronavirus-related reasons. The board successfully hosted the 50-over domestic BCB President's Cup, which was followed by the Bangabandhu T20 Cup last year. It also hosted three ODIs and two Tests against the West Indies this year.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top