Italy's Serie A was given the green light on Thursday to resume on June 20 after a three-month absence as one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic begins to ease restrictions.
Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora said that the government's Technical and Scientific Committee (CTS) had agreed to the health protocol proposed by Italian football chiefs.
"Italy has started to return to normal life again, it is only right that football should do the same," said Spadafora.
"The federation assured me that it had a Plan B and a Plan C.
"In light of these considerations, the championship can resume on June 20."
Italian football federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina told the minister during the video conference there would be a play-off system if the championship were again interrupted, while the existing standings would be used if it were stopped.
"We had a very useful meeting," said Spadafora. "From the start, I said that football could restart once all the security conditions had been met."
No top-flight matches in Italy have been played since Sassuolo beat Brescia 3-0 on March 9.