New UEFA tourney gets green light | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, September 12, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 05:54 AM, September 12, 2018

New UEFA tourney gets green light

European Club Association (ECA) chairman Andrea Agnelli has confirmed that UEFA are clearing the way for the return of a third club competition, two decades after the disappearance of the Cup Winners' Cup.

Agnelli said at the ECA's General Assembly in Split, Croatia on Tuesday, that "the 'green light' has been given to introduce a third competition...as of the 2021/22 season".

The move must now be validated at a meeting of UEFA's Executive Committee. Agnelli said the move would mean a total of 96 teams being involved across the three competitions.

His comments come after UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin played down media reports on the subject when speaking to journalists in Monaco last month.

The Cup Winners' Cup ran for almost 40 years before being abandoned in 1999 at a time when the Champions League was being expanded.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top