Pakistan former cricketer and current chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq informed during a press conference today that he will be stepping down from his role as chief selector at the end of the month.
After some poor performances in the recently concluded World Cup in England, the team’s selection process and Inzamam’s role in it came under criticism. Inzamam informed that he had already told the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) that he does not want to continue in his position.
"I think it is time to step down, I will complete my term that ends on July 30,” he was quoted as saying by Dawn.
"When I returned [from United Kingdom], I told the Pakistan Cricket Board [PCB] that I did not want to continue with my position. I joined in 2016 and have spent a good time here. Now, I have decided that new people should come, with new thinking and ideas.
"I thank the PCB and the team who respected my choices," he said.
While there have been suggestions that his nephew Imam-ul-Haq’s inclusion in the World Cup squad was due to Inzamam’s influence, the veteran former cricketer clarified some points on Imam’s selection.
"It is a critical matter for both Imam and me. If you remember, he was selected for the Under-19 team in 2012, when I was not a selector.
"He has been playing with an average of 50 and has been playing well. He should get the same regard as other players. Grant Flower (batting coach) came to me and said Imam should be in the team; Mickey Arthur (head coach) said the same. I sidelined myself when it came to Imam's selection.
"Please look at his performance. Don't get personal, this is my request to you all."
There was plenty of buzz around the selection of Shoaib Malik, after he failed to perform in the World Cup.
"Shoaib Malik has played for us for a long time; it happens sometimes that the player selected does not perform — it does not mean the selection was wrong or the player is bad.”